Saturday, January 16, 2010

Haiti

Collected Dead: 50,000
Estimated Dead: 200,000

I almost feel weird writing about the disaster there because I feel as though no matter what words I put together to express my remorse, they will never do it justice. Therefore, I was hesitant to write anything in my blog about it but I went to a family friend's house today and I was inspired. Their daughter put together a bake sale with her friends to help in the relief efforts towards Haiti, and just their small effort raised almost a grand. This was just enough force to put me into motion. Oliviadahd and I are going to do a bake sale next Sunday to raise money. We're setting up camp in the same place as the girl I spoke to but we're bringing in the bad boys. We're going to have chocolate covered strawberry after chocolate covered strawberry lined up. My world famous (I wish) Chocolate Chip Cookies ("Lexi's favorite" courtesy of Martha Stewart... really you should try the, the recipe is to die for) and chocolate covered blueberries will be making an appearance as well. I say all this because like I was inspired, I hope some of you stumble across this and hope it puts some positive energy into your outlook toward Haiti.

6 comments:

Concord Carpenter said...

I feel the same way. Everyone can help no matter how little.

Great post!

HallieMarie said...

This is awesome, Al!
That's great that you are actually DOING something instead of just sitting around and talking about it or wishing things could get better. I hope you have a great week!!

Unknown said...

A bake sale is a GREAT idea! Chocolate covered strawberries are my favorite! I've been trying to put something together to raise money at my school as well, maybe I'll try a bake sale.

Alexis Hooke said...

If you do a bake sale I HIGHLY suggest chocolate covered strawberries. They're SO easy to make, just melt your favorite chocolate on low head in a sauce pan and dip the strawberries and let them harden in the fridge. SO easy and you can charge a lot for them because they're so decadent. We've done them for bake sales before, charged two dollars a strawberry and some people were willing to pay 5 and 10 dollars even for them.

Alexis Hooke said...

heat*

SurferWife said...

You're doing a rewally great thing. Good for you. Wish I could go buy some of your cookies!!