Thursday, January 7, 2010

Thank god for Mucklucks...

This is the blog where you'll discover that I am a bit of a drama queen, however I assure that every metaphor and detailed description of what I am currently experiencing is 100% true and nothing less.

On Tuesday, I had a tonsillectomy done. For those of you who are unaware of the procedure, it is where they surgically remove your tonsils. Now this isn't a procedure doctor's normally like to do anymore, and it's often very hard to get a doctor to agree to taking them out. However, after five months of straight bedridden sickness and a lifetime of not being able to breathe enough through my nose, thanks to my large adenoids, I was a perfect candidate for the procedure.

The actually surgery is a piece of cake, 45 minutes, in and out then you're back in the recovery room drugged into a happy fog and time moves at a slow easy pace, but yet the hours fly by.
The two week recovery period where you're not being fed drugs through an IV is a whole story of its own.

I started this entry with the intention of blogging each day in detail because I know how much other blogs helped me during this time, however and unexpected twist halted this purpose. As soon as I got home from the hospital I was itching like crazy but I had no rash so the nurses said that I was just having a slight reaction to the Percocet (pain killer) and to just take Benedryl with my painkillers and all will be well. On day three I started throwing up at six in the morning and this continued all throughout the day. The pain was so excruciating in my throat I couldn't stand to take in anymore liquids. Finally at around 8 p.m. I knew that I was so dehydrated the cycle would never stop and my lovely parents took me to the emergency room. Where I was pumped full of saline and painkillers and steroids and anti-nausea meds. At two in the morning I was released to go home and couldn't have been happier now that I had a painkiller that was actually going to help not harm my recovery.

Long story short, I got these awesome Muklucks for christmas from the Gap. For those of you who are uneducated in the sleepwear lingo of today, they are like the world's greatest house slippers. Anyways, I have been living in them since the surgery and can't imagine recovery without them. My suggestion to you, if you think you need this surgery then read ALL of the comments on this blog and if you're still up to it after that, then it's time to buy yourself a pair of awesome muklucks and prepare your loving family for two weeks of complaints and whimpers; Those puppies need to come out!

2 comments:

Tom Bailey said...

"I started this entry with the intention of blogging each day in detail because I know how much other blogs helped me during this time, however and unexpected twist halted this purpose."

It is great that you made this distinction. The appriciation part of this is something that I get from your blog. It reminds me of a quote that I read "make sure your partners will be there providing support, energy and motivation when you really need it". It is interesting how blogger and blogger friends do this.

Thank you for your sharing.

Tom Bailey

Anonymous said...

You have tested it and writing form your personal experience or you find some information online?